Saturday 25 January 2014

# Shop Stool Build Off.. Part 2. Day one (Saturday)

Today is the end of Day one..

I knew that I had pushed some of the boundaries for me..and this was never going to be an easy build..

The legs are out of 1" White Oak planks, cut into thin strips to enable me to bend them to fit my former or mould. The first thing I had to do today was get the 3rd leg out of the cramps and run the three of them through the planer.. down to just over 20 mm, and that went great, they are starting to look really cool..



The next thing to do was to set up my big router in the router table, with my latest huge 1/2" Thumb Mould cutter

I wont be using it as shown, I'll be using it without the shoulders
on all four faces to create an ellipse

The stool is going to be viewed from all round, and I want it to perform as a shop stool but also create a talking point for visitors and clients.

So it's important to me that as you walk around it the section looks fluid..and it will.

Routing the Thumb Mould was a real pain, after I had cut the edge of one side it removed the area I needed to get the second cut, so i had to follow the bearing by eye, taking it down in a few cuts to stop it tearing out, the inner lower leg radius is down to 5" ..I lost a lot of time on this..with the couple of repairs. but hey ho..



Here's some of the de-lamination, whilst routing the Thumb Moulding on.


I then made the pattern for the two center boss's ..These are again in White Oak. around 5" diameter, they weren't too bad to make. Three notches around the outside, hole through the middle to be threaded and one to have a slight flat on the end grain to take my stamp.
The top Boss was made, this has a thread through it's centre, it will screwed to the underside of the seat and the threaded Beech spindle will be bonded into it.. It has the same Thumb mould around the underside and looks pretty cool already..



Marking up the boss' to make a pattern


There's a flat on one of the boss', just for my stamp..


Parts..


I'm using an old table leg in Beech for the centre spindle. It's on the lathe now but I'll turn it first thing in the morning..


Two of the six joints in the legs to the Boss's are cut and I'll be doing the others tomorrow in the daylight.


The seat will be in..

Catch up with the rest in..

# Shop Stool Build Off.. Part 3.  Day Two (Sunday)

Thanks for looking,

All the best

Jamie












No comments: